Thursday, March 29, 2012

Women We Love: Basia Lyjak




With a fresh year in 2012, two recently released singles, plus two more and a video slated for release this year, Basia Lyjak is a woman in control; she is a veritable supernova of songwriting and vocal talent poised to explode, putting a stranglehold on her eager existing fans and caught-off-guard new converts alike, leaving them rapt and thirsty for more, more, more!

10 years into her professional career, Basia has seen and learned a thing or two about her ever-changing and increasingly uncertain industry. From the glitz of generously funded development deals and girl groups, to living out of her car in order to record and release her next single, Basia has been personally and professionally privy to to the whole spectrum of the good and bad of being a musician.

Name: Basia Lyjak

Occupation: Singer/Songwriter

Education: Humber College Radio Broadcasting

Stats: That's a tough one! I've been lucky enough to receive quite a few awards for doing what I love, but I wouldn't say that's what defines my personal sense of awesomeness. If I really had to toot my own horn, I'd say I quantify my own awesomeness by how I've managed to stay true to my dream by keeping my project alive and moving even when things are at their toughest. No matter the hurdle -- and there have been MANY -- I still manage to keep on truckin'. I'm living my dream despite what anyone says, and that's awesome to me!

How did you get started on your current career track?
I think with any artistic pursuit, every step of the development of your craft has something to do with your current career track. So, from singing along to all the major divas as a kid to self-train my voice, to singing in productions of musicals, to being in an all-girl band, to recording my first and second EPs and all of my subsequent releases - all of that has led me to where I am. Every personal struggle and hurdle has affected my goals, my style, my songs as well. All of those things help whittle down what you really want for yourself as a person and artist!
Everyone has their two cents to offer to me: I should sing like this, write with that person, use this producer, focus on a different genre, wear different clothes - the list goes on and I can't please everyone. I'm here to write great songs, period, so I'm done with limiting myself to genres when every kid with an iPod has at least 100 different kinds of music on it! That's the mindset I was in when we went into the studio with these new songs - make them the best they can be, not cram them into a genre.

0 comments:

Post a Comment